Robyn Thursday, March 3, 2011


One of my favourite things to do when I come into a new area is to look around for interesting shops that sell antiques or old wares. You guessed it – I am a hoarder and a collector, so if anyone else is interested in these things I thought I would give a brief outline of what is available in our area.

In Kiama there is only one antique shop & that is to be found in a strip of shops called the Terraces on Collins St & they stock a full range of interesting items from Art Glass, to English China to Australian Pottery, Tools and Old Toys, comics, etc. The Terraces are an easy walk from the venue. They are the only remaining weatherboard terraces left in NSW so are interesting to see even if you are not a collector & were restored by grants from the National Trust in 1960. They were built for the quarry men and their families.












In Kiama there are also several op-shops which do have bits and pieces coming in all the time and they do a roaring trade especially on the weekends when Kiama comes to life. One of the major op-shops is in the main street Terralong, and I have been able to pick up a bargain or two there over the course of my collecting.

Other towns that have Antique Shops in our area are Wollongong (north 35 mins) which has 2 antique shops including a larger Centre in Auburn St that has over 20 stall holders open 7 days, and the other in Keira St near the cross street of Victoria St in case you wanted to find them on your maps.

Fairy Meadow, Woonona & Thirroul are suburbs when you head up North along the coast to the Sea Cliff Bridge and all have interesting shops stocking Old Wares and Collectables.

West of Kiama is Jamberoo (west 8 mins) & Berry (south 20 mins) and they have a couple of high end antique shops also, but many are closing down due to the great impact that ebay has had on this industry, so my rule is always spend a penny in each one so that they can be there next time I visit.



Up over the escarpment (west 40 mins) are the towns of Mittagong, Bowral, Berrima and there you will find lovely Junk shopping and a way to spend many hours searching for your chosen piece to take home.

I have many other spots that I love to check out so if you want more ideas please just drop me an email and I can give you some other options.

Happy shopping!

Helen Smith

Grottypots @yahoo.com

Collector of Australian Pottery from 1890 – 1970.


0 comments:

Post a Comment